nanog mailing list archives

RE: Cisco HFR

From: Andy Dills <andy () xecu net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 13:59:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 25 May 2004, Michel Py wrote:

As with many things, if you have to ask how much it costs
before deciding to order it, you can't afford it.

You don't get it, me thinks. For lots of people here, networks are not a
toy funded by the taxpayer's money, they're a tool to make money and
popular wisdom that I have found being practiced here says that indeed
you _do_ ask how much it costs before you buy it. I don't buy a million
bucks peace of equipment because it looks cool and I just got funding. I
buy a million bucks piece of equipment because I want ROI on it, and if
the ROI is 500k over 5 years I actually don't buy it.

Yeah, the state of CA sure hasn't purchased tens of millions of dollars
worth of stuff they don't need *cough*oracle*cough*. :)

I think the point was, for people who actually need this router, price
isn't a factor. If you actually need it, there are no other options. And
if money is a primary consideration, this is not the router for you. The
secondary market is obviously where the value is...and I doubt these will
show up on ebay.

Andy

---
Andy Dills