nanog mailing list archives

Re: ntpd config tech note redux

From: Petri Helenius <pete () he iki fi>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 07:56:21 +0300

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

I'll add my .02 currency units: if you can, make one of your ntp peers
XX.pool.ntp.org, where XX is your country code. Obviously, not all values of XX work -- among the surprising failures are il.pool.ntp.org,
jp.pool.ntp.org, and kr.pool.ntp.org -- but it's worth looking for your
country or a neighboring one. This will give you a selection among many different choices, if you aren't concerned with picking a specific one (say, for security reasons).

I seem to get always the same answer, even from the authorative servers of the zone;

;; ANSWER SECTION:
ntp.pool.org.           2H IN CNAME     sd3.mailbank.com.
sd3.mailbank.com.       30M IN A        64.15.175.6

Pete