nanog mailing list archives

Re: Worms versus Bots

From: Richard Welty <rwelty () averillpark net>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 17:16:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 03 May 2004 13:51:35 -0600 Mike Lewinski <mike () rockynet com> wrote:
Then again, I've seen businesses who had sensitive client financial data
on compromised systems completely ignore this advice, so it's generally
given without much hope, esp. where the stakes are lower.

ditto. i have some very specific memories of explaining to a CEO
who should have known better (an ex engineer) why we really
needed to "nuke the servers from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"
after an infestation at a startup some years back.

sigh,
  richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty () averillpark net