nanog mailing list archives

Re: dealing with w32/bagle

From: Adam Kujawski <adamkuj () amplex net>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:57:10 -0500

Quoting Dan Hollis <goemon () anime net>:

I am curious how network operators are dealing with the latest w32/bagle
variants which seem particularly evil.

We are currenly blocking *all* .zip attachments as a short-term work around,
until we can modify our virus scanner to block only password-protected zip
files. If anybody has already modified amavisd-new to act in this way, I would
appreciate a hand. I'm *not* a perl person, and my first attempt at changing the
source code has not had the desired effect.

Also, does anyone have tools for regexp and purging these mails from unix
mailbox (not maildir) mailspool files? Eg purging these mails after the
fact if they were delivered to user's mailboxes before your virus scanner
got a database update.

It seems that this virus uses a limited number of subject lines:

# E-mail account disabling warning.
# E-mail account security warning.
# Email account utilization warning.
# Important notify about your e-mail account.
# Notify about using the e-mail account.
# Notify about your e-mail account utilization.
# Warning about your e-mail account.

There's a script, expire_mail.pl, that's userful for this. It's available at
http://www.binarycode.org/cpan/scripts/mailstuff/expire_mail.pl. It can be used
as such:

/usr/local/bin/expire_mail.pl -verbose -noreset -subject "[subject of message
containing virus]" /var/mail/*

Of course, this won't work if/when the virus starts sending out emails with
randomized subjects. Let's hope the that the author isn't reading NANOG. :)

-Adam