nanog mailing list archives

Re: dealing with w32/bagle

From: "Dominic J. Eidson" <sauron () the-infinite org>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 14:54:06 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Brian Wilson wrote:

Quoting Dan Hollis <goemon () anime net>:

I am curious how network operators are dealing with the latest w32/bagle
variants which seem particularly evil.

I am also interested in what network/mail folks are doing about this
situation.
 Blocking all zip files at the mail level is next to impossible (since
of course when we started blocking executable files, we told people to
zip up executables) and since business can't be taken care of without
someone requiring zip files to pass. I will be the first to admit that
using mail as a file transfer protocol isn't the way to go, but getting
people to realize that (and forcing them to change) is next to
impossible.

Blocking all zip/exe/pif/etc files - seems to work pretty well here -
granted, it's on a smaller scale (~6k users, ~50k emails/day, ~7k
mails rejected/day, ~7k spam filtered/day)

 - d.

--
Dominic J. Eidson
                                        "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" - Gimli