nanog mailing list archives

Re: Personal Co-location Registry

From: Kelly Setzer <Kelly.Setzer () LiquidChicken org>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 09:51:07 -0600

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 09:07:31AM -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

In message <g3d67ag03k.fsf () sa vix com>, Paul Vixie writes:

I agree, lack of interactive access to a system prior to a functional OS
being loaded always seemed like a potential problem area to me,
particularly for something based on common PC architecture.

http://www.realweasel.com/ is your friend.  (isc has about a dozen of 'em.)

Realweasel is a great idea if you can afford it -- but the PCI version
lists for $350, which is as expensive as some used 1U servers on EBay.

Is there an effective alternative?  All the intel "servers" these days
seem to have one of those handy-dandy (note: sarcasm) ethernet ports
variously called "integrated lights-out (ILO)" or "lights-out
management (LOM)", etc.

I am dismayed that intel-based server vendors haven't noticed the
decades-old trend of having serial ports for emergency/remote access.

Kelly