nanog mailing list archives

Re: Update on Querying IADB

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:04:03 -0500

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 01:48:45 PST, "Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." <amitchell () isipp com>  said:

127.3.100.3            Accepts unverified sign-ups, gives chance to opt out

127.3.100.5            Has opt-in confirmation mechanism
127.3.100.6            Has and uses opt-in confirmation mechanism

127.3.100.10           All mailing list mail is confirmed opt-in

Hmm.. this is loads of fun if you're running a Listserv that has several
thousand lists defined, and not all of them have the same policies (for
instance, although the vast majority of our lists are 'confirmed opt-in', we
have several lists that are bulk-loaded with database extracts for "captive
audience" lists such as "all freshmen", "all grad students", and so on).

Also, the pricing seems a bit whacked - are you *really* expecting sites that
have less than 30 customers to pay $200/month?  I know a *lot* of people
who have formed collectives of 10-15 people who chip in and get a 1U at
a colo....

It's totally unclear how you can encode an "individual" listing - that
whole "stuff to the left of the @ sign" thing is rather unhandy...

I'll skip the estimates of the cash flow generated if the database gets big
enough to be useful, but I suspect that Verisign might have competition....