nanog mailing list archives

Re: who offers cheap (personal) 1U colo?

From: Andrew Dorsett <zerocool () netpath net>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:50:28 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

Andrew Dorsett  [3/15/2004 9:52 AM] :

Well whats wrong with you setting up a small router and using one IP?  The
crap I hear most of the time is that they want to only issue one ip per

Nothing particularly wrong with it as long as there's some mechanism to
zero in on rooted / abused machines there.

Exactly my point!  But so many universities and small ISPs are against it
with a vengance.  Like I keep saying, they are sharing one wall portal. I
know go to that keystone, find the hub and then go "Who's is this?"  Tell
them to clean up their machine because its infected and give them what I
know....ie: it was ip blah blah or sorry I can't tell you anything because
it was coming through your NAT box and all I see is a single IP.

Personally, shhh don't tell certain people who I know are lurking on this
list :)  But I ran a NAT box with 4 machines at one point.  An XP box for
my general use, an SGI box for development, a linux box for development,
and another linux box acting as my ftp server.

Andrew
---
<zerocool () netpath net>
http://www.andrewsworld.net/
ICQ: 2895251
Cisco Certified Network Associate

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself."