nanog mailing list archives

Re: who offers cheap (personal) 1U colo?

From: "David A. Ulevitch" <davidu () everydns net>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:16:21 -0600 (CST)

<quote who="Michael Loftis">
Experiment ... go to a college dorm that's wired, plug your laptop or PC
in, start using the net.

Nine times out of ten you wont' be challenged and you'll be
allowed to use the network.

Has it been a while since you've been on a resnet?  They're bad, but most
all "ResNet's" I know of are now implementing some sort of MAC/DHCP combo
at the very least.

That might have been true a couple years ago but recent DMCA notices and
Worm activity have /forced/ (often by their upstream) ResNet's to clean up
their act.

I don't think our ResNet is a shining example of excellence by any stretch
but they know who is registered behind each port/ip/mac address which
gives you a pretty good idea of who is on your network.

I won't comment on what leaves the ResNet on port 25 and what leaves the
network with no prayer of ever routing back. *cough* That's a whole
'nother issue for them to deal with, and at some point soon, I think they
will.

-davidu (speaking only for himself)

  David A. Ulevitch - Founder, EveryDNS.Net
  Washington University in St. Louis
  http://david.ulevitch.com -- http://everydns.net