nanog mailing list archives

Re: who offers cheap (personal) 1U colo?

From: "Stephen Sprunk" <stephen () sprunk org>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 19:22:03 -0600

Thus spake "Christopher L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () mci com>
On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
So DOCSIS has a technical limitation which may or may not apply.  This
is
reasonable justification for limiting upstream bandwidth, not for
specifying
that users can't run servers.  If users can run servers effectively in
the
limited available upstream bandwidth, then there is no _technical_
reason to
prevent them.

how are 'servers' (smtp/web/ftp/imap) different than the existing P2P
apps? Wouldn't a cable provider, if the decision was based on upstream
bandwidth sharing alone, care MORE about P2P than 'servers' ?

I don't know how common this is, but my ISP's AUP considers P2P apps to be
"servers" and thus banned.  I don't use file-sharing apps so this doesn't
really affect me, but I'm betting my SIP phone is technically a violation
too.

Stephen Sprunk        "Stupid people surround themselves with smart
CCIE #3723           people.  Smart people surround themselves with
K5SSS         smart people who disagree with them."  --Aaron Sorkin