nanog mailing list archives

Re: Source address validation (was Re: UUNet Offer New Protection

From: Paul Vixie <vixie () vix com>
Date: 07 Mar 2004 07:29:54 +0000

sean () donelan com (Sean Donelan) writes:

Try saying that after running a major DDoS target, with "HIT ME" your
forehead.  No offense Sean but I'd like you to back your claim up with
some impirical data first.

Has the number of DDOS attacks increased or decreased in the last few
years has uRPF has become more widely deployed?

the number of spoofed-source attacks is down only-slightly.

Do you have any evidence the number of attacks are decreasing?

the overall number of attacks and their volume seems to be decreasing
ever-so-slightly, but the ferocity of the attacks that come through seems
to be increasing more-than-slightly.

and, when defending against one of these, every valid source address is
worth its figurative weight in gold, and constitutes a minor compromise
for the attacker, even if the host it helps to identify is disposable,
easily replaced, and difficult to repair.

[ of course, sean, i could just be making that part up.  but since i keep
saying it and since i get attacked pretty frequently, i might be telling
the truth.  it could be worth assuming a little credibility and seeing
where that leads you.  (but, we digress.) ]
--
Paul Vixie