nanog mailing list archives

Re: "Default" Internet Service (was: Re: Points on your Internet driver's license)

From: John Curran <jcurran () istaff org>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 10:11:57 -0400

At 6:31 AM -0400 6/13/04, Sean Donelan wrote:
If they were, you would expect to see a difference between barns with
doors and barns without doors.  But in practice, we see people with and
without firewalls with infected computers.

If you're asserting that having firewalls in the path doesn't have
any impact on rate of infection, please provide a link to this data.
Sure, I've even seen infected computers in rooms that don't (or
should not have had) any connectivity, but that just means it is
not a perfect world.  Lot's of things make it through firewalls
(email-based worms come to mind) but from what I've seen they
are quite effective at protecting networks of otherwise helpless
comes-out-of-the-box-wide-open PC's.

/John