nanog mailing list archives

Re: Can a Customer take their IP's with them? (Court says yes!)

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 13:32:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, Richard Welty wrote:

i suspect this will turn out to be a non-issue, even of the new provider
routes the blocks and nac.net strictly obeys the requirements of the
TRO. the blocks broken out of the aggregates are probably (i
haven't looked) likely to be dropped by filters at many large
providers, which will seriously limit their utility.

We're not talking about a /24 or longer prefix here.  Based on the amount
of ARIN space Pegasus has and claims they've made, I'd guess they must
have somewhere in the neighborhood of a /16 worth of NAC space, probably
in several blocks of /24 and shorter.

So, how do your filters tell the difference between these broken out
NAC routes through a new provider and "multihomed customer routes with the
primary provider's connection down"?

 Jon Lewis                   |  I route
 Atlantic Net                |