nanog mailing list archives

RE: GSR, 7600, Juniper M?, oh my!

From: Drew Weaver <drew.weaver () thenap com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 12:06:34 -0500

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Michel Py wrote:

not trying to defend the 7500 platform, it's obsolete all right.
However, free is music to my ears.

What about longer term maintenance issues? Is the 7500 not scheduled for
EOL from Cisco 'soon' ? So, purchasing 7500 bits that might be dropped by
'normal' Cisco support in 1 year versus purchasing some other hardware
that will be in support longer might pay out in the longer term?
---

        Well technically buying a used 7500 doesn't entitle you to run IOS
on it, so you need to re-license the Ebay Special and that usually costs
close to what a new 7500 would cost. Anyway, on to the reason for my post.
I've heard conflicting reports, is a 7206 faster at packet switching than a
7507?

        Some people tell me it is a better router, some people tell me it
isn't.

Feh.

-Drew