nanog mailing list archives

RE: GSR, 7600, Juniper M?, oh my!

From: "Michel Py" <michel () arneill-py sacramento ca us>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 08:00:33 -0800

Dan Armstrong wrote:
GSRs are useless if you are doing any kind of
aggregation. Their traffic shaping abilities
are embarrassing.

Neil J. McRae
Historically yes, but no longer. The latest line of
GSR cards now give them much greater capability in
this area even though it was never designed as an
access box.

There still is the issue of cost though. GSR line cards are not cheap.

7500 is the classic aggregator.  They do the job
quite well, actually. Based on cost right now, I
would take 10 7500s over 1 7600 anyday.

If you are just aggregating E1/T1 then I'd agree,
but the minute you need DS-3/E3/STM-1/ATM/100BaseT/
Gige aggregation then the 7600 is a far better
choice cost wise

I would put 10mbps Ethernet and possibly DS3 in the same pool as E1/T1
though; this still remains in the realm of things a 7500 does fine. I'm
not trying to defend the 7500 platform, it's obsolete all right.
However, free is music to my ears.

Michel.