nanog mailing list archives

Re: PC Routers (was Re: /24s run amuck)

From: "Alexei Roudnev" <alex () relcom net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:05:22 -0800

Hmm; home equipment is, in many cases, much better than _industrial one_, if
you concern about price/perfoamce .

Good example - HD disks. Industrial SCSI disks are 2 steps behind home, IDE,
ones. Home made computer is,  in many cases, much better than industrial
SERVER, from DELL.

Reason is very simple - companies have a very high price competition in home
market, and it drives prices down. Industrial market is much more
conservative. Cisco vs Linksys was a very good example - 100$ vs 1000$,
doing _almost_ the same.

(I do not advocate an idea of PC Router).