nanog mailing list archives

Re: Converged Networks Threat (Was: Level3 Outage)

From: Paul Vixie <vixie () vix com>
Date: 25 Feb 2004 19:06:03 +0000

jared () puck nether net (Jared Mauch) writes:

      I keep hear of Frame-Relay and ATM signaling that is going
to happen in large providers MPLS cores.  That's right, your "safe" TDM
based services, will be transported over someones IP backbone first.

One of my DS3/DS1 vendors recently told me of a plan to use MPLS for part
of the route inside their switching center.  I said "not with my circuits
you won't".  Once they understood that I was willing to take my business
elsewhere or simply do without, they decided that an M13 was worth having
after all.  My advice is, walk softly but carry a big stick.  When we all
say "everything over IP" that means teaching more devices how to speak
802.11 or other packet-based access protocols rather than giving them ATM
or F/R or dialup modem circuitry.  It does *not* mean simulating an ISO-L1
or ISO-L2 "circuit" using a ISO-L3 "network".  (Ick.)
--
Paul Vixie