nanog mailing list archives

RE: Anti-spam System Idea

From: jlewis () lewis org
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 20:21:29 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004, Tim Thorpe wrote:

If these exist then why are we still having problems?

Because the spammers are creating proxies faster than any of the anti-spam
people can find them.  Evidence suggests, at least on the order of 10,000
new spam proxies are created and used every day by spackers
(spammer/hackers).

The relative insecurity of windows and ignorance of the average internet
user has created an incredibly target rich environment for the spackers.

Why do we let customers who have been infected flood the networks with
traffic as they do? Should they not also be responsible for the security
of their computers? Do we not do enough to educate?

Economics, and convenience outweighing security.  We're big, and slow to
change.  They're small and mobile.

 Jon Lewis *jlewis () lewis org*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |