nanog mailing list archives

Re: AOL web troubles.. New AOL speedup seems to be a slowdown

From: "The Gunn" <webmaster () jessicastover com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 08:40:45 -0500 (EST)

Brian,

I have some friends in the web proxy group at AOL, if you can send me (or
post to this list) some urls that are breaking, they can take a look for
you.

According to them, if the java problem is happening on AOL 8.0 as well as
9.0, then it's not a TopSpeed issue (TopSpeed is just an executable that
runs in tandem with 9.0), but could be some other client-related problem..

And in response to Rob's suggestion to use SSL instead of implementing
cache-control, it would be a pretty wasteful implementation of SSL if its
purpose is solely to prevent a proxy from recompressing your images.

-- The Gunn
webmaster () jessicastover com

<snipped since its kinda long>

Just got done working with my mother's machine again, and have been
watching
her and a bunch of other people who use AOL 9.0 and some who use 8.0.
Something over the past week alone has definately happened in regards to
the
AOL TopSpeed stuff.  I've got a situation with more then 75% of the people
I've tested, that they have problems running java applets (including AOL's
own
link into pogo games) in AOL 9.0 GM (that they are distributing to end
users).
When the user switches to AOL 8.0, the problem exist.  When the user uses
IE
separate from AOL, the problem does not exist.  There are other issues
developing as well - random freezing of java games for example.  Once
again,
this only happens in 9.0.

This was working fine two weeks ago on all of these people's machines.

Of course, this is increasing my daily workload, as I now have users
having
problems that I need to sit and try and diagnose.  I've been telling
people to
use AOL 8.0 or IE if they want to play games.

But, yes, there appears to be a problem somewhere with this TopSpeed stuff
that people have been noting complaints about.

Sorta off topic, but alot of people here also do support for this kind of
stuff, and would like to get some feedback as to what others are seeing
with
their end users.  I have a sinking feeling that when I take the time to
file
an official bug report/issue, they will tell me 'reformat and reinstall'.

--
Brian Bruns
Open Solutions For A Closed World / Anti-Spam Resources

The AHBL - http://www.ahbl.org