nanog mailing list archives

Re: MTUs - Was: Strange public traceroutes return private RFC1918 addresses

From: "Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr." <larrysheldon () cox net>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 14:43:39 -0600

Warren Kumari wrote:

Ok, I know that this is getting away from the original thread, but I've
always wondered this...

Why is the MTU on Ethernet 1500 bytes? I have looked through various
docs (eg IEEE Std 802.x) and can find where maxUntaggedFrameSize is
listed as 1518 octets, but there is no mention of why this was chosen.
I know where the minimum frame size comes from (CSMA/CD and propagation
times, etc), but the maximum frame size number sounds fairly arbitrary.

Because that was a conveniently large amount of very pricey memory
availble at the time?

Because that was the amount that could be blatted down a 500 meter
hose and get the "CD" part to work at some common clock rate?