nanog mailing list archives

RE: New Computer? Six Steps to Safer Surfing

From: "Jeffrey Race" <jrace () attglobal net>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 12:06:08 +0700

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 06:22:17 +0000 (GMT), Christopher L. Morrow wrote:

there are others of course... it's not the OS that matters in the long
run, it's the administration of that OS (or so it seems to me, admittedly
not a sysadmin though, anymore). Sure, initial/default installs might be
problematic in one/all OS's,

And to give you the perfect example, my daughter's school's e-mail system
had to be shut down last week(running on W2K).   I asked the MIS manager how
this could have happened if everyone other than the administrator were denied
permissions to install executable files.   He repled that when the school
was set up, there was a big quarrel about this and the Information and
Computer Technology Department (responsible for teaching computer
technology to the students) insisted on an exemption for its staff so
they could test software.

Of course one of these computer experts clicked on some "see Britney Spears
nude" link and installed a Trojan Horse program which converted the
school's computer system with T1 link into a zombie to spam the entire
world.   They had to shut everything down to cleanse the system.

Even the best software won't protect against the "whatever" users (a
significant proportion of every community and increasing in recent
years of new cultural norm of 'there is no right or wrong; if it feels
good now, do it now').

Jeffrey Race