nanog mailing list archives

Re: Any net disruptions from Indonesia quake / Tsunami?

From: Suresh Ramasubramanian <ops.lists () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 08:58:07 +0530

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 21:59:10 -0500, Joe Abley <jabley () isc org> wrote:
Suresh is "doing good, thank god".

http://lj.hserus.net/

And so is the internet in India as far as I have seen - the tsunami
apparently wasnt enough to sever any undersea cables or other internet
links.

On the other hand, it might have disrupted connectivity in one or more
areas if a CO / DSLAM / ISP NOC got hit by the tsunami or quake.  I've
seen no reports of that happen in India so far, and other services
(phone, cellphone, power etc) seem to be uninterrupted.

Areas closer to the epicenter of the quake (Sumatra for example, or
the Maldives) have been completely swamped, and power and
communications cut off.

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian (ops.lists () gmail com)