nanog mailing list archives

RE: SPF again (Re: XO Mail engineers?)

From: "Douglas Otis" <dotis () mail-abuse org>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 15:42:58 -0700

DAU> Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 14:46:02 -0700
DAU> From: David A. Ulevitch

DAU> I don't think SPF is worthless [1] but it isn't a drop-in
DAU> solution and the impact on infrastructure will be
DAU> significant if it becomes widely adopted.

When an architecture is "maxed out", it's difficult to make
significant improvents that are drop-in.

DAU> I think people will realize that if we're remodeling the
DAU> boat that much we should have at least made sure we were
DAU> fixing something in the process...

Indeed.

Hogging the TXT RR is a bit greedy.  Assuming homogenous policy
across a domain name is a stretch.  Surely someone else noticed
KRB5 and its interaction with DNS.

Running something DNS-based that requires simple parsing is
hardly an earth-shattering change; it smells similar to DNSBLs,
yes?  Yet it's still somewhat controversial.

And then there's LDAP...

In a situation where widespread agreement is mandatory, and
consensus is better, drastic changes are difficult.  If all
netop-related technologies required NANOG-L agreement, nothing
would ever get done.

I'd like to see widespread adoption of authenticated SMTP, with
per-user restrictions on sender address.  Alas, that's more
difficult than, say, SAV.  Call me cynical, but I don't see
anything like SMTP auth+restrict taking the world by storm in the
near future.

No, SPF isn't perfect.  I'm trying to decide if it's even "good".
Are the benefits worth the effort?  I'm hopeful, but time will
tell.  Time will tell, but I'm hopeful.  At this point, I'm game
to give it a shot.

Sender-ID is not SPF.  Sender-ID ignores the RFC 2821 MAIL-FROM and thus
does not stop the bounce technique.  It does not stop the virus filter
response.  Sender-ID does not allow for accurate accreditation.  Microsoft
wants everyone to sign a mutual IPR where this can not be transfered.  After
all the problems, much with the excessive use of DNS TXT records, Sender-ID
will not have changed the amount of abuse seen, but will raise the support
required to help customers with their mail.

-Doug