nanog mailing list archives

Re: Summary with further Question: Domain Name System protection

From: sthaug () nethelp no
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:46:11 +0200

What I'm not sure about ACL on router is, how to
survive DNS server under DoS/DDos attack. We suffered
from DoS attack last year, and we found the source IPs
of that attack locate in our customers IP address
blocks. ACL on router could only filter those traffic
not meaningful to DNS server, but how about those DDoS
attacking packets?

Your router can presumably rate limit the traffic towards the name
server to a level the name server can handle. On the name server
you can perform further rate limiting on an IP address basis, with
for instance FreeBSD ipfw.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug () nethelp no