nanog mailing list archives

Re: Summary with further Question: Domain Name System protection

From: sthaug () nethelp no
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 11:03:27 +0200

1. ISPs use firewall to protect their DNS server;

Depends. You don't normally need a full fledged (stateful) firewall.
Normal (stateless) router access lists are just fine.

2. ACL on router may be a good solution for protecting
DNS servers, the policy could be  "only pass those
packets, whose originate from incustomers' IP address
blocks and destinate to UDP port 53 of DNS server";

In general, allow only relevant traffic. That may be a bit more than
just UDP port 53: You really want to allow TCP based DNS queries also,
and your name server probably needs SSH, NTP and similar.

5. 'bogon'in BIND configuration could be used to
filter requests from RFC1918 address;

Better to do it on the router.

6. Firewall may become bottleneck of DNS server farm
in situation of DoS attack or situation of high
session rate;

Routers with hardware based access lists. No problem.

b) Is there any public available performance
evaluation on Nominum's product?

See Brad Knowles' tests:

http://www.ripe.net/ripe/meetings/archive/ripe-44/presentations/ripe44-dns-dnscomp.pdf

We currently have the Nominum CNS on trial here, and we are very
impressed. It performs much better than BIND 8/9 - our measurements
show even greater differences than Brad Knowles' tests. Example: One
server running BIND 9 shows more than 30% CPU usage during peak hours,
but only 2-3% with Nominum CNS. We also have the issue that BIND 9
seems to start *failing* when it reaches a certain cache size (as in:
Some queries are either not answered at all, or they are answered
with SERVFAIL).

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug () nethelp no