nanog mailing list archives

Re: Vendor TCP oops-es (was Re: TCP/BGP vulnerability)

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch () muada com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:09:07 +0200

On 21-apr-04, at 21:18, Todd Vierling wrote:

[*] I must admit one thing, for instance: This "Advisory" was a problem for NetBSD, but not because its port allocation scheme was crappy. It so happened that NetBSD wasn't properly validating the sequence number to be
within the window.  "Oops."

You can say that again. I think I found this bug in the FreeBSD source code (where it was fixed). Any info on which of our favorite vendors have the same bug in their code?

If they do, the bad news is that resetting a session may take only a few thousand packets (just 2 assuming all other info such as port numbers is known). The good news is that MD5 should hold up well against the exploit. But filtering BGP RSTs is also a good idea, IMO.