nanog mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft XP SP2 (was Re: Lazy network operators - NOT)

From: John Osmon <josmon () rigozsaurus com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:34:37 -0600

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 12:03:32PM -0700, Dan Hollis wrote:

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, Jeff Shultz, WIllamette Valley Internet wrote:
** Reply to message from Drew Weaver <drew.weaver () thenap com> on Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:42:53 -0400

    [...notification of the...]
average home Dial-Up users who were infected with various malicious agents
(I.e. Nimda, et cetera) and we actually contacted those users, to let them
know and again we were met with more hostility.
You definitely don't have our customers then.  Our usually appreciate
being told that their systems are screwed up.

He's right.

Most customers get defensive/hostile when you tell them there's something
wrong with their system.

For what it's worth, our (dial-up and DSL) customers have generally
act thankful when contact them about the problems their machines
are causing.

I guess nothing changes -- the world is full of people.  :-)