nanog mailing list archives

Re: Lazy network operators

From: "Dr. Jeffrey Race" <jrace () attglobal net>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:26:10 -0400

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 08:09:39 +0000 (UTC), Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
You, sure, how about the people who are not really computer literate and
use SMTP AUTH to send their mail from various places? Remember that
convinience almost always outweighs security with the general
population. If it wouldn´t, the ICT market would not look like it looks
today.

That was solved 6 years ago. You let them use port 587 instead of 25.
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2476.html

Another datapoint.

That may have been "solved 6 years ago" in theory, but in practice it
is not and that needs to be addressed before one can point the unwashed
masses to this option.   I am rumoured to be literate computer user and
after many months of trying I cannot  find a combination of providers
and software which will accomplish this for me.  I travel a lot and need
this service.

I have read rfc2476.html.

Jeffrey Race