nanog mailing list archives

RE: Lazy network operators

From: <daryl () introspect net>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 08:55:56 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog () merit edu [mailto:owner-nanog () merit edu] On
Behalf Of Michael.Dillon () radianz com
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 5:18 AM
To: nanog () merit edu
Subject: Re: Lazy network operators

[...]
A tier 1 provider in the SMTP mesh does not have to
be the same thing as a tier 1 provider in the
physical mesh. See the structure of the NNTP mesh
over the years for examples. I fully expect to see
specialized email peering providers arise who will
have SMTP peering arrangements with the large email
site like AOL, Yahoo, Hotmail etc. and who then arrange
peering with large numbers of smaller sites who either
cannot find SMTP peering locally or who want to
be assured of alternate SMTP routes in the event
their main peer cannot reach all destinations.

Michael, I picked your message simply as a representative of this
viewpoint.  But can you ro someone who shares this idea please explain
to me how this model accounts for compromised hosts sending their spam
through the default MTA or using the default MTA setting son the host?
After all of this trouble to get such a system in place, it's going to
take the spammers 1/100th of the effort the operation community has put
in to thwart the system.

But maybe I'm wrong.  I'd love to be wrong on this one.

Daryl G. Jurbala
BMPC Network Operations
Tel (NY): +1 917 477 0468 x235
Tel (MI): +1 616 608 0004 x235