nanog mailing list archives

Re: Packet anonymity is the problem?

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:09:14 -0400

In message <C7AA377F-8B92-11D8-8702-000A95CD987A () muada com>, Iljitsch van Beijn
um writes:

  Bellovin compared the situation to bank robberies. "[S]treets,
highways
  and getaway cars don't cause bank robberies, nor will redesigning
them
  solve the problem. The flaws are in the banks," he said. Similarly,
most
  security problems are due to buggy code, and changing the network
will
  not affect that.

Ok, then explain to me how removing bugs from the code I run prevents
me from being the victim of denial of service attacks.

That's where my analogy breaks down -- but you're being victimized
largely because of bugs in code other people run.  I stand by my
statement: most of the security problems we have on the
Internet are due to buggy code.  (If you want to stretch the analogy,
imagine a bogus newspaper report that stimulates uncritical readers to
withdraw their money.  It's called a run on the bank, and it's every
bit as much a denial of service issue as excess packet floods -- bank
runs are transaction rates much greater than what the (financial)
system was designed to handle.  And when they're triggered by false
rumors -- well, you get the picture, and my metaphors are stretched too
thin as is.)