nanog mailing list archives

Re: internet consumers forum?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:55:24 -0400

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:06:22 EDT, Richard Welty <rwelty () averillpark net>  said:

i've sent some time (at least 20 minutes) considering that while there are
forums for operators and engineers to discuss issues (nanog, ietf, others
too numerous to mention), there aren't really forums for informed consumers
of internet services to exchange notes (or for uninformed consumers to
become informed.)

There used to be Usenet, but then the spammers found it.

Remember that Nanog probably has *significant* market penetration - I'll hazard
a guess that at least 40-50% of the service providers in the US have at least one
person lurking here.  Now consider the number of consumers of network services
in the US, and estimate what a 1% market penetration would be.

Ask yourself:  How do I keep spammers out of a group that size?  And if I don't
reach that size, what good am I really doing?