nanog mailing list archives

RE: Internet privacy

From: "Allen McRay" <amcray () amcray net>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 14:38:13 -0500

Amen.  If there is a problem with a domain that I have registered, I want
people to be able to find out who I am, and contact me.  If I don't respond
to a request, don't put forth my best efforts, or remove myself from the
network until the problem is corrected - then pull the plug on me.  Plain
and simple.  The "whois" lookup gives anyone, even with limited skills, the
ability to possibly contact someone in regards to a domain.  I know there
have been abuses of the system, but the advantages of having this
information readily available far outweigh what will come when it is hidden
from public view.

Allen

It's rediculous to state that placing contact information for a domain
name is a privacy issue. A domain is public record, as should the
contact information be. Is verisign out to help spammers any way that
they can? It's bad enough that the whois information is often out of
date with obvious bogus information like 555-1212.

-Jack