nanog mailing list archives

Re: DoS Attacks

From: "Brian Bruns" <bruns () 2mbit com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 00:03:19 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Radabaugh" <mark () amplex net>
To: <nanog () merit edu>
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 11:56 PM
Subject: Re: DoS Attacks

I think I would follow two avenues next time - the direct approach with
FSU
(or wherever the traffic is coming from) as well as with your DSL
provider.
Your upstream should be able to assist in at least keeping the traffic off
of your dedicated line.

Whether your DSL provider has the resources to sink the traffic may be
another matter  -- but they are at least in a position to help you and
(since you are paying them) have an interest in dealing with you.

I hate to say this, but Ameritech/SBC is utterly useless in matters like
this.  I mean, at one point their redback was being nailed, and they didn't
seem to care one bit.  After 5pm, everyone with a clue seems to leave, and
we are left with useless low level help desk techs.

Our DSL service isn't bad - in fact it rarely goes down.  The problem is
that when we need their help with something out of our league, they are
completely useless.  Anyone know of a contact number for SBC/Ameritech that
would be useful in a case like this?

Brian Bruns
Open Solutions For A Closed World / Anti-Spam Resources
http://www.2mbit.com
ICQ: 8077511