nanog mailing list archives

Re[2]: Sabotage investigation of fiber cuts in Northwest

From: Richard Welty <rwelty () averillpark net>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 15:30:21 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 07:27:49 -0800 (PST) David Raistrick <drais () wow atlasta net> wrote:
On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Owen DeLong wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something, but, if you have the bolt cutters, I don't
see why you need the key to an adjacent lock or any of the locks.

If you want to put the chain back together, you'll need to open one of the
locks, or add another lock in it's place.

This assumes a legit need to remove someones lock.  If you just want to
get in, boltcutters will usually do it.

it's a terrible security mechanism regardless.

suppose i want reliable unauthorized access. i determine the make and style
of lock in common use, buy a bunch, buy a bolt cutter. go cut out links at
each facility i wish to compromise and install my own locks right along side
the "legit" ones.

how long do you think it'll take anyone to notice the extra locks?

cheers,
  richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty () averillpark net