nanog mailing list archives

Re: Santa Fe city government computers knocked out by worm

From: "todd glassey" <todd.glassey () worldnet att net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:17:40 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeffrey Paul" <jeffreypaul () diamondcard com>
To: <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu>; "Alex Yuriev" <alex () yuriev com>
Cc: <nanog () merit edu>
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 7:25 AM
Subject: RE: Santa Fe city government computers knocked out by worm

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog () merit edu [mailto:owner-nanog () merit edu] On
Behalf Of Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Sent: Mon, 2003-11-17 10:23
To: Alex Yuriev
Cc: nanog () merit edu

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 06:26:50 EST, Alex Yuriev said:

Because for people outside our little industry the software
is a tool
to get a JOB done, not the job itself.

It doesn't take long for the average mechanic to learn that
buying cheap wrenches is a bad idea.

Which is probably why they end up buying the expensive, supported one
(like everyone else).  It's also why they get worms.

-j

Hmmmm - I would have used a different picture - I would have said that  "the
average Ferrari Owner to realizes that if they don't tune their horse, it
dies on them...  while they are driving it.", So why don't the operators of
Microsoft OS instances? -

Todd