nanog mailing list archives

Re: This may be stupid but..

From: "Peter Galbavy" <peter.galbavy () knowtion net>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:06:19 -0000

Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine wrote:
 of my best hires (at sri, .5k hosts, circa 1987) were simply
trainable. an english major (f) from reed, and a cs major (m) from a
school that taught cobol as a modern language -- i hired him for his
night job skills, managing an auto body shop, managing ordinary joes
holding tools.

My best hire, now one of my good friends, was someone who was on a
teacher-training course but had to drop out due to a long term illness. She
came to me recommended by my girlfriend-a-the-time as someone who would make
a good office junior. She is now one of the bext web/perl/sql coders I know.

A willingness, nay - a NEED, to learn and be open to new concepts is what
forward moving technology sectors (like ours I hope) need.

Acronyms mean sh*t. When involved in any hiring process, I actively avoid
CCIE/MSCE/etc. laden resumes. Mentioning once, fine. Using them like
religious phrases is an indictation of, well, stupidity.

i'm recruiter-proof. i'm not sure i'd want anyone who wasn't.

Aye. I have *never* used my CV/Resume in getting a job. I still have one,
but it's very out of date.

Peter