nanog mailing list archives

Re: dnsbl's? - an informal survey

From: "Mr. James W. Laferriere" <babydr () baby-dragons com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 09:43:48 -0400 (EDT)

        Hello Jack ,

On Fri, 30 May 2003, Jack Bates wrote:
Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
<snip>
    White listing is NOT what was being discussed .  Tho is can be
    adventagous in the right circumstances .
<snip>
    And neither was Static addressing .  Filtering was being discussed
    based on some unknown (to me probably others as well) methodology .
            Twyl ,  JimL

White listing comes with any blacklist. The blacklists in particular
being discussed were the @dynamics, like the PDL and dynablock at
easynet. Both lists quite clearly state how they build their lists and
what they are designed to block (dynablock only takes out dialup, and
PDL takes out all dynamic addressing).
        Query ,  How is it determined that the address in question is
        dynamic or not ?  Who/how/what makes that determination ?
        This is the core of my concerns .

Given the number of insecure client systems on dynamic addressing (proxy
servers, trojans, etc), accepting email from dynamic addresses is
becoming inherently more dangerous. If smarthosts can't be used from
those addresses, then special whitelisting can be done.
        Highly agreed .  But sure am hoping some better solutions are
        being developed .

Of course, the person implementing email blocks of any type, especially
public blacklists, must take some ammount of responsibility in
maintaining legitimate email communications as dictated by users.
        YES !  Without this there is no check &/or balance to the
        procedure/s in use .  Twyl ,  JimL

--
       | James   W.   Laferriere | System    Techniques | Give me VMS     |
       | Network        Engineer |     P.O. Box 854     |  Give me Linux  |