nanog mailing list archives

Re: dnsbl's? - an informal survey

From: "Mr. James W. Laferriere" <babydr () baby-dragons com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 22:18:10 -0400 (EDT)

        Hello Jack ,

On Fri, 30 May 2003, Jack Bates wrote:
Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
    Hello Charles & All ,  Love all of you that want to filter ,
    Please do I would bo one of those that you'd filter .  I've been
    running my little home netowrk for ~8 years using dialup ,  isdn ,
    adsl , cable .  Never could get any employer to fork over better
    than that .  It brings to mind something Randy said ,(something
    like) I highly recommend that my compititon ...
    That way people (ie: customers who know better) will find a
    non/inteligent-filering provider .  Please THINK before doing .
            Hth ,  JimL
You seem to think that customers give ISPs a choice. The fact is,
customers scream about the 50-90% spam that hits their mailbox and want
it gone at any cost. Whitelisting is easy, and done when requested.
Customers are happy.
        White listing is NOT what was being discussed .  Tho is can be
        adventagous in the right circumstances .

The stance now stands, if you can't afford a static IP address to
properly run a mail server, then use a smart host. If a server isn't
static, then the IP address can't be trusted or the next guy at that IP
address will be a spammer. Most places will whitelist based on email
address or vanity domain if asked.
        And neither was Static addressing .  Filtering was being discussed
        based on some unknown (to me probably others as well) methodology .
                Twyl ,  JimL
--
       | James   W.   Laferriere | System    Techniques | Give me VMS     |
       | Network        Engineer |     P.O. Box 854     |  Give me Linux  |