nanog mailing list archives

Re: Communities BCP [was: RE: BGP Path Filtering]

From: Guy Tal <guy () gblx net>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 17:28:37 -0500 (EST)

comments inline...

On Fri, 16 May 2003, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:

On Fri, 16 May 2003, Danny McPherson wrote:

On 5/16/03 1:26 PM, "Jay Ford" <jay-ford () uiowa edu> wrote:

You can & definitely should strip those community values on announcements you
receive from EBGP peers.  Interesting things happen if you let others turn
your routing policy knobs when you think they can't reach them.\

Agreed.

Likewise, when you receive communities (and MEDs, ugh!) [if possible] you
should reset them (v. employing 'additive').  Unnecessary propagation and/or

Hmm.. assuming you're interconnecting at multiple points with the same ASN they
will probably want to indicate to you where to send traffic to them using MEDs,
if you go stripping them out you lose that info, check the peering policy.. this
may put you in breach.

Even without a breach of policy the MED will help find the best path to a route
thats identical at two points and if you take it out you lose that.

All a matter of perspective. I would assume most people want to use
closest exit on their networks. Imagine how nice it would be if you could
hand off traffic to a peer that is your closest exit, then force them to
carry the traffic back to you at that same point from across the country
or across the globe!

Altho I'd agree if you'd say to clear the communities and MEDs on egress, thats
an okay thing to do.

Spank me if I'm wrong here, but you don't pass MEDs on transitively
anyway. And if you strip communities off, you limit your
peers/customers/providers from being able to use the same control that you
are asking for.

Guy Tal