nanog mailing list archives

Re: identity theft != spam

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner () nic-naa net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 13:44:26 -0400

unfortunately, until proper legislation is passed, they are to some degree
hamstrung by said mandate from congress.

The wait condition (FTC jurisdiction) is possibly eqivalent to the switch
from an opt-out regime to an opt-in regime, which three years ago I though
was likely in the first Gore/Lieberman term. At the time I worked for an ad
network, so I paid more attention to technical and policy nuances in all of
the three basic jurisdictions than I do now.

My crystal ball had an off-by-at-least-one error.

The serious bit of this is, expect _no_change_ at the Federal level until
conditions change.

Eric