nanog mailing list archives

Re: how to get people to upgrade? (Re: The weak link? DNS)

From: Niels Bakker <niels=nanog () bakker net>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 17:47:05 +0100

* vixie () vix com (Paul Vixie) [Wed 26 Mar 2003, 16:24 CET]:
so here's a proposal.  we (speaking for ISC here) could add a config option
(default to OFF) to make bind send some kind of registration packet at boot
time, containing an e-mail address for a technical contact for that server,
and perhaps its hostname as well.  the destination would be configurable, and
the format would be open, and we would include in the distribution a tool
capable of catching these.  any campus/WAN admin who wanted to run their own
"BIND registration system" could do so.  anyone who wanted to simply config
their server to send registration data to ISC could do so.  for data received
at ISC, we'd (a) keep it completely private other than public statistics,
(b) clean it of obvious trash (some people will sent registration data for
president () whitehouse gov just for fun; we know that), and (c) use the contact
information only in the event that a security defect discovered in that
version.  remember, the default would be OFF.

given such a feature, whose default was OFF, would anyone here who uses
BIND stop using it out of protest?  if so plz answer publically (on nanog).

So how much would this differ from `make install' running this shell
script?

---
cat <<EOF
        Congratulations!  You have just successfully installed BIND
        ${VERSION}.  If you want to be kept up-to-date on future
        announcements on BIND (for example, security vulnerabilities
        found in your version), say Y here.  This is highly recommended!
EOF
        read answer
        case "$answer" in
          y|Y|[Yy][Ee][Ss])
                echo subscribe | mail bind-announce-request () isc org
                ;;
          *)
                echo "You can still see security updates at"
                echo "http://www.isc.org/products/bind/";
                echo "Please check there regularly!"
        esac
---