nanog mailing list archives

Re: APNIC returning 223/8 to IANA

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 01:30:39 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Andy Dills wrote:
Somebody has to deal with the issue of breaking the pretty aggregation due
to the /24 at the end. Why does APNIC feel it shouldn't be them that must
deal with this small problem? That region of the net certainly causes its
share of problems.

ARIN has dealt with the issue of RESERVED blocks within /8 allocations
for years (and InterNIC, SRI-NIC, etc for a decade?).  I guess 223/8
could be allocated to ARIN instead, if APNIC can't fix their database
software to handle special use allocations.

Or IETF could reserve the entire 223/8 for future special use allocations
instead of the current practice of using whatever space was next in
the queue when a new special use request is made.  Otherwise, some RIR
will have to deal with future RESERVATIONS within a /8 eventually.  It
seems a bit wasteful to reserve an entire /8 just because RIR's can't
deal with RESERVED allocations, but I don't run an RIR so I don't know
the capabilities of the database tracking systems.