nanog mailing list archives

Re: Question concerning authoritative bodies.

From: "Jack Bates" <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 13:09:14 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu>
To: "Jack Bates" <jbates () brightok net>
Cc: <nanog () merit edu>
Sent: Sunday, March 09, 2003 12:31 PM
Subject: Re: Question concerning authoritative bodies.

So who do you trust to be objective enough about a centralized registry
of security, especially given that there's no consensus on what a proper
level of security is?  And if there's a problem, what do you do?   In our
case, do you ban an entire /16 because one chucklehead sysadmin forgot to
patch up IIS (or wasn't able to - I know of one case where one of our
boxes

There are private systems in use today like NJABL which act as centralized
resources. I believe that it is possible to come to an agreement on a
standardized test suit that can be used and what the variables concerning #
of scans and how frequent should be set to. I'm not suggesting a full
security evaluation of networks, but a detection mechanism that can be used
as a resource to recognized standard issues, primarily protecting email
which is one of our most utilized resources.

I submit to you the thesis that in general, the sites that are able to
tell
the difference between these two situations are not the sites that either
situation is trying to detect.

I agree for the most part (excluding RoadRunner given recent events).
However, the sites that are able to tell the difference suffer the costs of
scans just the same while everyone tries to detect those unable to tell the
difference. And as I mentioned, you always have situations like RoadRunner
arise where a detection was needed, but they are able to detect the scans
and issue complaints even when they were in fault. The goal is to provide a
service that many require to limit the amount of noise currently generated.
I do not think that we can necessarily scan and analyze every security
problem. However, I do think that there are no-brainer security issues that
can be detected which the public demands they be protected from. In
particular open SMTP relay and unsecured proxy/socks servers. Detection, of
say, the latest sendmail or saphire exploits is not as critical. We can
passively detect these things from their own abuse. We cannot passively
detect open proxies and smtp relays.

-Jack