nanog mailing list archives

Re: WANTED: ISPs with DDoS defense solutions

From: "Christopher L. Morrow" <chris () UU NET>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 22:37:21 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 variable () ednet co uk wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Mike Tancsa wrote:

I recall one of our users was involved in a DoS once a few years back
when the "giant pings" could crash MS boxes. The fact that his perceived
anonymity was removed was enough to keep him from repeating his
attacks....

If these issues are addressed then it becomes a lot harder to remain
anonymous and starting DDoS attacks against targets that can trace you
becomes a lot less attractive.

Sure, trace my attacks to the linux box at UW, I didn't spoof the flood
and you can prove I did the attacking how? You can't because I and 7 other
hackers all are fighting eachother over ownership of the poor UW student
schlep's computer...

The problem isn't the network, nor the filtering/lack-of-filtering, its a
basic end host security problem. Until that is resolved, the ability of
attackers to own boxes in remote locations and use them for malfeasance
will continue to haunt us. I would guess that the other owners of the
machines attacking Mike (assuming they got the emails he sent... big
assumption) probably said: "Great another person getting attacked from
that joker's win2k machine, hurray:(" and moved on about thier business.
They know that they can't get the end user to secure their machine and
they know that if the get him/her to reload the OS or 'clean' it of the
'virus' the problem will arise anew within 17 minutes :(

I'm all for raising the bar on attackers and having end networks implement
proper source filtering, but even with that 1000 nt machines pinging 2
packet per second is still enough to destroy a T1 customer, and likely
with 1500 byte packets a T3 customer as well. You can't stop this without
addressing the host security problem...

Cheers,

Rich