nanog mailing list archives

Re: COM/NET informational message

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 14:41:45 -0500

In message <Pine.LNX.4.44.0301031853520.19798-100000 () www everquick net>, "E.B.
Dreger" writes:

EL> Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 13:44:53 -0500
EL> From: Edward Lewis

EL> The DNS protocol is not 8-bit safe, much less any
EL> implementations of it.  This is because ASCII upper case
EL> characters are down cased in comparisons.  I.e., the

My point is there's no need to force chars <= 0x7f if DNS servers
are properly implemented.  If they're not properly implemented,
why not, and whose fault is that?  Catering to bad or broken
implementations instead of following standards is not a good way
to ensure interoperability.

DNS labels are encoded by a one-octet length representation
followed by that number of octets, with no restrictions on the
content of the octets.  Show me where an RFC says something to
the extent of "labels and <any type of> RR MUST NOT contain
characters >= 0x7f" that rescinds 1035.

Yes, comparisons are case-insensitive.  So what?  strcasecmp()
works on ASCII strings.  Now it must work on <new encoding x>.
Why not let <new encoding x> be UTF-8, something programmers
should support already?  Maybe MS-style Unicode encoding?  Why
add yet another encoding?!

I'm sorry, but this is incorrect in many different dimensions.  The
subject was discussed exhaustively in the IETF's IDN working group; I
refer you to its archive for detailed discussions.  Among many other
things, your assertion about the simplicity of name comparisons is
wrong; see draft-hoffman-stringprep-07.txt for a discussion of that
issue.  As for 8-bit clean DNS -- well, apart from the many possible
ways to encode things, there's the issue of the many applications that
aren't 8-bit clean, including (per the RFC 822 spec) SMTP.  If "just
use 8-bit clean DNS" were sufficient, we'd have been there several
years ago.  See http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/idn-charter.html
for many more pointers.