nanog mailing list archives

Re: Remote email access

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 08:30:46 -0500

On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 09:04:08 GMT, Michael.Dillon () radianz com  said:

What would be the point? Well, if my MTA receives a connection on port 25
I could look up the source IP address in the LDAP directory to identify
the owner. Since an LDAP directory can contain arbitrary information
related to its entries, perhaps I could find out whether or not that
source IP is registered as an SMTP server and also retrive the abuse email
address of the organization who has registered this address.

Somebody (Christian Huietma?) did a survey, and 30% of the sites don't even
have working PTR entries in the DNS.  Why should you expect enough buy-in
on updating LDAP entries to make the query worth trying?

www.rfc-ignorant.org has a very large database of sites that can't even get
things like 'postmaster@' and 'abuse@' *email* addresses correct.

So you end up penalizing sites that don't have a clue, while the clued spammers
will do this:

% ldap add abuse_contact mailbox="abuse () whatever foo"
% cat > ~abuse/.forward
/dev/null
^D

What have you won?