nanog mailing list archives

Re: "Selfish Routing"

From: "Stephen Sprunk" <stephen () sprunk org>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 17:15:13 -0600

Thus spake "Pete Kruckenberg" <pete () kruckenberg com>
http://www.scienceblog.com/community/article1018.html
---
This might be easier to understand if it was more technical,
but I'm only aware of a lot of disabled features on my
routers that are supposed to in theory do some of these
things.

And they're disabled because they often result in routing loops, usually
transient but sometimes permanent.  With very careful planning, you can
create scenarios where these features help; however, it's usually cheaper to
add capacity than to improve efficiency when you include engineering and
operational costs.

Abstractions and analogies aside, is this really a problem,
and is it really worth solving? Sounds like a lot of
additional complexity for the supposed benefits.

Some carriers are solving this problem with MPLS-TE, but not the way the
author suggests.

Other than the MPLS-TE solution, I'm not aware of any ISPs that use
congestion- or RTT-based routing.  [E]IGRP is the only IGP with a mechanism
to implement this on a packet level, and experience shows it is unstable in
most topologies.