nanog mailing list archives

Re: Locating rogue APs

From: Michael.Dillon () radianz com
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 11:23:12 +0000

It appears that kismet requires either someone to walk around the
facility
while running the program or that you have you have it installed on
machines all over your site.  Neither of those options interest me as
long term solution to rogue AP monitoring.

You could setup a laptop, a GPS with a data cable, NetStumbler[free],
and a 8dbi 2.5ghz <802.11b> antenna and pickup everything clearly
for a half a mile without walking around. I've just acquired this
setup myself. Google on "war driving +F150" and you'll see a setup
to help for < $55

If you are driving then you might want to build something using the DashPC
http://www.dashpc.com/ but for walking around it's even easier if you use
a Linux-based PDA like the Sharp Zaurus which runs kismet.

--Michael Dillon