nanog mailing list archives

RE: VoIP QOS best practices

From: "Stephen J. Wilcox" <steve () telecomplete co uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 19:01:39 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Ray Burkholder wrote:

QoS isn't necessarily about throwing packets away.  It is more like
making voice packets 'go to the head of the line'.  Of course, if you
have saturation, some packets will get dropped, but at least the voice
packets won't get dropped since they were prioritized higher.

Thats what I meant too...

To qualify further on where it needs to be deployed, its required on whatever
the slowest link in the typical path to "the Internet". What I mean is that if
you download your email you will utilise the whole bandwidth of the slowest link
in the chain, this may be a dialup modem but more likely in the office to be
your T1, you dont want this full utilisation of the link (which will occur in
small bursts of a few seconds, dont forget with voice we are interested in per
second traffic volumes not 5 minute averages!) to affect the jitter you need to
implement priorities at this point.

Steve

Ray Burkholder