nanog mailing list archives

Re: Selfish routing

From: alex () yuriev com
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 23:21:09 -0400 (EDT)

Yes but... I seem to recall a few things about the network you are
referring to (the "You are confused" is kindof a tip-off :P), and one of
those things was the complete and total meltdown with every fiber cut.

That was a totally braindead design - claiming that no backup path is better
than an ATM backup path is just silly.

Sometimes you can win the battle with quantity of service, and sometimes
you just don't have a choice in the matter... Why throw away the ability
to keep your network alive in the event of fiber cuts, DoS, or just the
realities of business, because of engineering religion...

Agreed.

However, claims "we have a special technology that magically avoids problems
in the networks that we do not control" is the egineering religion.

Alex